Malawi Government and the owner of the bus involved in an accident in Tanzania Monday night have taken full charge of Malawians that survived the accident and remain hospitalised in the neighbouring country.
Leader of the Malawi delegation that travelled to Tanzania after the accident, Chiza Chirambo, confirmed the development in an interview yesterday, saying currently only six Malawians have remained hospitalised there.
“The Malawi embassy in Tanzania has taken full responsibility of the survivors that remain hospitalised and the owner of the bus, Mr Muhammad, also assured us of his full support to the victims while in hospital,” Chirambo said.
“Five Malawians died on the spot while eight were admitted to Limbula Lutheran Hospital, three of whom in the Intensive Care Unit. Two of the eight have since been discharged this morning.”
Chirambo, quoting Tanzanian police, said the accident happened 237km from Songwe border post and some 137km from Mbeya towards Dar es Salaam. The bus was travelling from Lilongwe to Dar es Salaam.
He said the driver of the bus lost control of it while trying to avoid another oncoming bus that had moved into his lane as the oncoming bus was overtaking another vehicle, adding that it fell on one of its sides and all those that died were on the side it fell on.
He said the five dead – two men, two women and a child aged about three – were ferried to Karonga district hospital where four have since been identified and transported to their respective areas of origin for burial.
Chirambo identified those that had been discharged as Peter Chizinga of Neno and Linda Mkulichi of Chiradzulu.
Details indicate that all the six that have remained in hospital–three in the ICU and another three in the surgical wards – are from Nkhata Bay.
According to Chirambo, those in the ICU are Diana Chembezi, 18; Annie Kaunda, 24; and Esther Kaunda, 25. The other admitted patients are Getrude Samson, 37; Chitemwa Munthali, 18 and Alufeyo Sinde.