The shooting case of former Budget Director Paul Mphwiyo which led to the massive revelations to the plundering of public funds dubbed cashgate is set to resume this Thursday at Lilongwe High Court.
When the court resumes on Thursday on the case, the accused are expected to start entering defence and parading their witnesses.
During the previous seating, High Court Judge Michael Mtambo ruled that former Justice Minister Raphael Kasambara, Pika Manondo and McDonald Kumwembe have a case to answer on the attempted assassination of Mphwiyo.
Mtambo also acquitted three other suspects Oswald Lutepo, Dauka Manondo and Robert Kadzuwa of conspiracy to commit murder charges saying the prosecution team did not present sufficient evidence implicating the accused persons.
But information that FaceofMalawi have in possession indicates that former President Dr. Joyce Banda, founder of opposition People’s Party (PP) is on the witness list who may be recalled to testify in the case.
Banda is on record to have said she knows the people who shot Mphwiyo.
One of the defence lawyers, Wapona Kita representing Macdonald Kumwembe confirmed of the development in an interview with one of the local daily papers [Daily Times].
He however said the list is only tentative and might be amended depending on the progress of the case.
Commenting on the development, Banda’s personal assistant Andekuche Chanthunya said the former leader will not testify in court.
So far about five cases have been completed since the financial scam which is the first of its kind came to light in September 13, 2014.