Speaker of Parliament and Vice President for the opposition Malawi Congress Party (MCP) Richard Msowoya has trashed reports of extravagance by his office circulating on the media and has accused the Minister of Information, Tourism and Civic Education Jappie Mhango of hoodwinking Malawians.
Malawi News of October 24, 2015 reported that Msowoya is using a Toyota Land cruiser V8 which cost about K96 million while Dr. Lazarus Chakwera (leader of opposition in Parliament) together with two deputy speakers have been using Toyota Prado VXs costing K80 million each.
Speaking in an interview after the article, Mhango who is also government spokesperson expressed shock over the development and branded Chakwera and Msowoya as hypocrites.
Reacting to the development, Msowoya accused the government of trying to shift the attention of Malawians from economic challenges currently rocking the country by smearing mad at the opposition.
Msowoya said Parliament followed proper procedures in acquiring the said fleet from govt.
“It is sad that the Executive using the Minister of Information has hoodwinked many Malawians in believing that parliament can independently buy a bottle of water without its approval let alone cars the Minster is talking about. Malawi parliament is not independent. All money and all procurement decisions are given by them,” said msowoya.
Read full statement below
It is sad that the Executive using the Minister of Information has hoodwinked many Malawians in believing that parliament can independently buy a bottle of water without its approval let alone cars the Minster is talking about. Malawi parliament is not independent. All money and all procurement decisions are given by them.
1. The vehicles were bought last year as soon as the Speaker, Leader of Opposition and two deputy Speakers assumed those offices
2. The vehicles are similar to all other government vehicles
3. Speaker’s category is used by President (4), VP(2), Chief Secretary(1) and MRA Commissioner General(1). Some other CEOs in government may have them too. The one for dep speakers and Leader of Opposition is used by all PSs, Directors, all Judges, all parastatal heads, etc. they are special to parliament at all.
4. Parliament followed all procedures in acquiring the said fleet from govt. No short cuts.
5. Such decisions at parliament are not made by Speaker, Leader of Opposition or Dep Speakers but the Parliamentary Service commission(PSC)
6. Delivery by the vender was delayed leading to the last one that was delivered this January 2015.
7. There were no old cars. All Speakers and Leader of Opposition before us bought their vehicles, including Jappie Mhango’s boss, hon Jones Chingola , which Jappie as personal assistant to him used when at parliament.
All above information is available and can obtained by anyone who want truth from Parliament.
Prior to delivery, all the said officials were using hired cars which would have meant govt spending above 720 million in hiring charges in five years hence govt and PSCs decision to just buy the cars.
Parliament has a responsibility to give all and any piece of information to anyone. We will ensure the truth is told as we continue to call the executive to account!