Convicted former Justice Minister Ralph Kasambara will wait until October to have his appeal case in the shooting case of former Budget Director Paul Mphwiyo tried at the Supreme Court.
Kasambara, and his co-convicts, Macdonald Kumwembe and Pika Manondo filed for an appeal to Supreme Court earlier this month after High Court Judge Michael Mtambo found the three on July 21, 2016 guilty of the offence of conspiracy to murder and the offence of attempted murder.
In a file seen by FaceofMalawi, Kasambara and fellow appellants argued that Mtambo erred in law and fact in holding that the prosecution had made out a case to answer for them when the prosecution had failed to prove it.
They also argue that Mtambo erred in law and fact in refusing to recuse himself when there was ample evidence of his being apparently biased against them right from the start of the case up to the time when he suddenly revoked the bail for Kumwembe and Kasambara.
Despite the appeal information sourced by this publication indicates that Kasambara may wait until October for his case to be tried as Judges are reported to be on three-month vacation.
Judicial Spokesperson Mlenga Mvula confirmed of the development in an interview with the press.
“I can confirm that Judges are on vacation and they will probably be back in office in October,” said Mvula.
When quizzed if Judge has been identified for the case, Mvula said everything will be known after the vacation.
Kasambara is currently being remanded at Maula Prison in the capital Lilongwe waiting for his judgment.