The number of Malawi Defense Force soldiers killed in an accident a couple of weeks ago has reached 23, up from 21 last week.
This was known when President Professor Arthur Peter Mutharika visited soldiers admitted to Mzuzu Central Hospital in Mzuzu on Monday.
According to information sourced by faceofmalawi, one newly recruited MDF soldier died at the hospital on Saturday bringing the death toll to 23.
Speaking to the press after visiting the victims, President Mutharika said he is relieved to see some of the victims recovering well.
“I am pleased and relieved to see them show huge signs of recovery and I continue to wish them that they get even much better,” said Mutharika.
General Supuni Phiri said three soldiers are currently receiving treatment at the hospital while five are receiving specialist treatment at Beit Cure Hospital in Blantyre with others at Mzimba District Hospital.