Minister of Information, Tourism and Culture Kondwani Nankhumwa has appealed for more funds to help Malawians who have been affected by the ongoing spate of xenophobic violence in South Africa as new information indicates that the number of Malawians rendered homeless is now at 1030.

Nankhumwa made the appeal on Friday afternoon during media briefing held in the commercial capital Blantyre.

In her speech, Nankhumwa said the situation is so horrible and he urged the South African government quickly quell the situation.

“Apart from the 420 Malawians we said had been affected, it has also been discovered that 650 Malawians are camping at a certain place in Durban, about 45 kilometers from the three camps where other Malawians are seeking refuge.

“Again, at Green Park Police station in Johannesburg there are 60 other Malawians seeking refuge,” said Nakhumwa.

Nankhumwa said it is difficult at the moment to determine the extent of injury, if any, and any other associated risks while maintaining that no Malawian has been reported dead.

“At the two new places, I must indicate that they are no camps. People are just loitering and the situation is horrible. These people need a lot of support like food. We thank aid agencies like Red Cross which have already started providing assistant to those affected,” added Nankhumwa.

While hopeful that all Malawians will be repatriated safely, Nankhumwa said with number of victims now at 1030, he said the number of buses and the general amount of money to be spent on the repatriation exercise need to be increased.

The government of Malawi set aside MK30 million for the repatriation exercise and six buses were hired to carry 420 Malawians who were earlier reported to have been trapped by the fracas.

Meanwhile the first buses carrying Malawians departed in South Africa on Friday and they will be arriving in the country on Sunday.

(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
0
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel :


Follow our Instagram