The High Court in Mzuzu on Monday started hearing robbery case where armed robbers invaded Mzuzu Standard Bank branch in September 2014 and went away with money amounting to MK500 million.
The money was later intercepted at Jenda road block by Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA) security officers and three suspects were arrested after thorough investigations.
According to the charge sheet seen by FaceofMalawi, the three suspects identified as Ken Kamwamba, Charles Moffat and Amos Jere are answering charges of robbery with violence.
During the court hearing on Monday, the state paraded two witnesses who were there during the robbery incident.
The two told the jam-parked court that the robbers threatened them with a pistol before forcing entry into the facility and tied them with robs.
The witnesses further said that the robbers concentrated much on boxes that had MK 1000 and MK 500 bank notes as they threatened them with a gun or guidance and carried five sacks.
The case is today expected to be held at the crime scene which is Standard Bank premises where CCTV footage will be shown.
However, the defence team has protested the application saying that a judicial notice was required on the same arguing their client; Ken Kamwambi is being tried under inhuman conditions.
The third accused person, Kamwambi former police officer had initially had keys to his handcuffs misplaced by prison warders who took time trace the officer who had carried them during an adjournment earlier in the day.
Kamwamba was also arrested in Blantyre on similar case and was apparently on bail.
Mzuzu Standard Bank robbery case was one of the notable robbery cases recorded in Malawian history seconded by FMB robbery case in Blantyre where money amounting to MK100 million was stolen and Police officer was shot dead by the armed robbers.