The High Court in Lilongwe has adjourned the shooting case of former budget director Paul Mphwiyo to June 7 2016 for the defence and the state to present their oral submission on the matter.
Macdonald Kumwembe and second accused Pika Manondo are answering charges of attempted murder while former minister Ralph Kasambara is answering charges of conspiracy to commit murder.
Delivering the ruling after Kumwembe’s testimony, High Court Judge Michael Mtambo said both the State and the defence will make their oral submissions on June 7 in an open court.
He said each side will be given a maximum of 30 minutes to make their submissions.
According to Mtambo, after the submission the court will be adjourned to the last week of June for a ruling.
During Kumwembe’s testimony earlier in the day, he accused Peter and Luciano Chiumbudzo paraded in court by the State of lying.
Kumwembe claimed the State has given Luciano a sweetener to twist facts, saying for four months now the rebuttal witness has been lodged at Sunbird Lilongwe Hotel from South Africa to testify against him.
Kumwembe also claimed when he was arrested and remanded at Maula prison, Luciano came to visit him.
DPP Kachale accused Kumwembe of making serious “allegations” in court, saying she was not amused.
But Kumwembe said it could be difficult to answer questions from the “angry” DPP.