Be extremely careful when charging your smartphones. If you keep your iPhone plugged in underneath your pillow or have your phone close to you while you sleep, you could be setting yourself up for a world of excruciating pain or even death.
According to the Washington Post, a 32-year-old Alabama man named Wiley Day was rushed to the hospital after his necklace accidentally touched exposed prongs on an extension cord connected to his phone charger.
Day, who was sleeping,Â sustained second- and third-degree burns to his neck and hands.
The man is said to be lucky to be alive considering the factÂ 100 volts is all you need to be faced with death.
Wiley Day spoke to the Washington Post about the horrifying experience, saying it was âthe eeriest, darkest, most demonic thing you could ever experience.â
“I donât have enough adjectives to describe it” he said.
The report states Dayâs eyesight began to fade away and it âfelt as if he were trying to see out of a peepholeâ as he was being electrocuted.
It wasnât until the 32-year-old man began shouting for family members to come help him that his niece went running into his room.
“She said I kept yelling âJesus!â When I came to and figured out what happened, I literally stood straight up, and I said, âOh my God, I think I just got electrocuted”.
His niece then informed him she had seen smoke billowing out of the extension cord next to his bed.Â Eventually, Day mustered up the strength to pull the necklace off of himself.
“Had I not pulled that necklace off when I didâŚ I just believe that God spared my life, and thatâs what happened”.
Pulling the necklace off left burns on both of his hands.
Huntsville physician Benjamin Fail, spoke to WAAY News about the incident, explaining,
“He is lucky to be alive. Electrocution kills”.
Citing data from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, theÂ American Burn Association (ABA) statesÂ 4,700 resident fires are started annually due to extension cords.
Out of these 4,700 fires, about 50 deaths and 280 injuries are reported as a result. The ABAâs website reads,
“Hot plugs and sockets are often caused by deteriorated connections to the cord wires. Many older cords are made with small wire that can overheat easily. Check the temperature of extension cords when they are in use. If they are hot to the touch, disconnect the appliance”.
Wiley Day had the below advice to share to other people with a tendency of charging their phones in bed.
“I found out most people were using extension cords because they were still on their devices in bed. IÂ mean, itâs sad but true. From my experience to others, it is not worth your life charging your electronics in bed. I mean, itâs not worth it. I wouldnât wish what happened to me on my worst enemy” he concluded.
Follow Us on Instagram