A 30-year-old man didn’t get the message that it was time to move out of his parents’ home, even after they left him five notices and an offer of cash to help find new digs.
The New York family drama eventually rolled into the court system, where a judge on Tuesday ruled in the parents’ favour and ordered Michael Rotondo to leave after having a room for eight years.
But Rotondo contends he is owed a six-month notice. “I just wanted a reasonable amount of time to vacate, with consideration to the fact that I was not really prepared to support myself at the time of the notices,” he said.
Christina and Mark Rotondo of Camillus started the court proceedings earlier this month and filed evidence of five notices they served their son, starting in February.
During the hearing on Tuesday, Michael represented himself and cited the case of Kosa v. Legg: “that there is ‘Common law requirement of six-month notice to quit before tenant may be removed through ejectment action.” But New York State Supreme Court Judge Donald Greenwood disagreed.
“I’m granting the eviction,” he said. “I think the notice is sufficient.” After court, Rotondo told reporters he plans to appeal the case and finds the ruling “ridiculous.”
Follow Us on Instagram