An employee of the Jefferson county morgue died on Monday morning after being accidentally cremated by one of his coworkers.
According to the Beaumont Police Department, 48-year old Henri Paul Johnson decided to take a nap on a stretcher after working for sixteen hours straight.
While he was sleeping, another employee mistook him for the corpse of a 52-year-old car accident victim and carried him to the crematory.
Before anyone could notice a mistake, he had already been exposed to temperatures ranging between 1400 to 1800 degrees Fahrenheit and reduced to ashes.
Jenna Davis, one of Henri Johnsonâ€™s coworkers, says she heard him scream for about 15 seconds after the crematory was activated.
â€śAt first, we didnâ€™t understand where the sound was coming from. When we realized what was happening, it was too late. We shut down the heating system, but he was already dead.â€ť
Ms. Davis claims that the youngÂ coworkerÂ who caused the accident wasÂ a new employee and had forgotten to check for the toe tag to make sure he had the right body.
The police have opened an investigation to determine the exact circumstances surrounding Mr. Johnsonâ€™s death.
Investigators have not ruled outÂ the possibility of filing criminal charges against the employee who caused his death.
The young man could possibly be accused of criminal negligence causing death.
Follow our Instagram