After a series of posts on social media went viral with claims that hand sanitizers were responsible for burnt cars and buildings, the British National Health Service has warned that hand sanitizers are not to be left in cars or other hot environments as they could possibly catch fire and burn down property.

This comes after deadly reports of similar incidents were recorded across the UK this summer, with one being of a car door that was melted after a bottle of hand sanitizer caught fire.

hand sanitizers explode in sun
Hand sanitizer incident, car burns after an explosion

The alcohol-based hand sanitizer is a flammable substance widely used in the fight against coronavirus across the globe.

In Zimbabwe, the government urged citizens and businesses likewise to use the flammable substance to protect against the virus.

As such, the public is highly cautioned to safely use hand sanitizers and avoid exposing the substance to hot surfaces or environments, sources reports.

Zimbabwe currently has favorable winter temperatures, thereby reducing chances of related incidents.

However, temperatures are fairly on the rise in the southern parts of the country with some places such as Lupane, and Hwange hitting 26C.

Health and Safety experts warn such temperatures can ignite flames if hand sanitizers are left in a tight environment

“If it is 25C outside, the estimated vehicle interior air temperature can reach up to 50C if left for a couple of hours,” a CE Safety spokesperson said to The Sun.

“….hand sanitiser bottle that had ignited inside a vehicle sitting in direct sunlight,” he said.

Warm temperatures can cause pressure to build up inside the hand sanitizer bottle resulting in raptures or explosions. In some case when bottles are tightly closed, flammable vapours get released into the air and ignitions can be sparked by hot temperatures.

(Visited 27 times, 1 visits today)

0

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel :

Follow Us on Instagram