Malawi Revenue Authority (MRA) on Thursday confiscated seven vehicles at the Lilongwe residence of former Chief of State Residences, Mr. Peter Mukhito over suspected tax evasion.
The development came barely a day after the Malawi Police Service (MPS) arrested Mukhito over cement saga.
MRA Head of Corporate Affairs Steven Kapoloma confirmed of the development in an interview with the press.
According to Kapoloma, the tax collecting body received a tip off from well-wishers on the matter hence the operation.
‚ÄúI can confirm that we have impounded seven vehicles from Mr Mukhito on suspicion that the vehicles were not duly cleared at MRA,‚ÄĚ said Kapoloma.
Kapoloma has since urged Malawians to keep on informing the tax collecting body of the suspected tax evasion malpractices.
Some of the vehicles confiscated are;
1. Toyota Land Cruiser (VX8), registration number BW 6060.
2. Range Rover – No number plate.
3. Toyota Land Cruiser (VX8) – No number plate.
4. Mercedes Benz, registration number CPM 2.
5. VW Passat, registration number CP 7074.
6. Toyota Fortuner, registration number MH 950.
7. Bentry, registration number FW16LS-GP.
The motor vehicles are parked at MRA offices in Lilongwe.
Follow our Instagram