At least 10 suspects have escaped form Nsanje Police last night as reported by Superintendent John Timbenao of Nsanje Police.
According to Timbenao, the suspects were among 21 other suspects who were being kept at the police station.
‚ÄúBrief facts of the case are that on this material date and time there were Twenty one (21) suspects in custody of which twelve were in cell number one and the other ten were in cell number two,‚ÄĚ he said.
He further added that 20 suspects were on remand except for two of which one was a convict and another one was arrested on January 7, 2021 for alleged murder.
Timbenao further added that all the officers were on duty when the incident happened
‚ÄúAll Officers on duty starting from S/Insp. Rex Mulawu Duty Officer, D/Sgt. Nixon Mwankenja duty available, D/Sgt. Kakodwa Standby and Sgt. Debora Yasin who was an OB Keeper from 2200hrs to 0600hrs were on duty,‚ÄĚ he said.
According to the statement, Sergeant Yasin who was the OB keeper heard a shout from one of the cells as one of the suspects said that his friends are escaping through the window.
Later the officer informed other officers on duty who came in to check in the cell only to discover that out of the twelve suspects only two are remaining.
‚ÄúImmediately the senior duty Officer Supt. John Timbenao who was out for patrols was informed and together with his patrol team rushed to the Office where it was confirmed,‚ÄĚ the report read.
The report added that ‚ÄúAnd crime scene was immediately visited where it was discovered that the suspects escaped from custody through the window after they cut the steel bars using a hacksaw.‚ÄĚ
The suspects have been identified as;
1) Seda Bonzo, 30yrs of Watifodi village, T/A Makoko, Dist. Nsanje– Defilement
2) Paul Fombe Nyamatcherenga, 20yrs of Chapilira village, T/A Malemia, Dist. Nsanje– Theft of Goats.
3) Master Themu, 21yrs of Kambulukire village, T/A N’gabu, Dist. Nsanje– Unlawful wounding.
4) John Basikolo, 18yrs of Chapinga, T/A Makoko Dist. Nsanje– Theft of Cattle.
5) Peterson Fred, 27yrs of Samu village, T/A N’gabu, Dist. Nsanje– H/B/Theft.
6) Frank Keniyasi, 24yrs of Mbang’ombe village, T/A Malemia Dist. Nsanje– C/L/C/B/Peace.
7) Gerald Mikithayo, 39yrs, of Matiki village, T/A Tengani, Dist. Nsanje– Defilement/Abduction.
8) Fred Bello Fombe, 24yrs of Nthukuso village, T/A Malemia, Dist, Nsanje– B/Theft.
9) Anthony Hussen, 20yrs of Cham’bote village, T/A Chimombo, Dist. Nsanje– Defilement and
10) Lavuna Black 21yrs ofMtasa village, T/A Makoko, Dist. Nsanje– Malicious Damage
Meanwhile investigations are underway to re-arrest the suspects.
Follow Us on Instagram