Teen, 17, died after being stung by a box jellyfish in Queensland.
A 17-year-old boy from Bamaga, in Far North Queensland, died after being stung by a box jellyfish â a venomous sea creature, while fishing. The deadly incident occurred at Pattersonâs Point on Cape York on Friday, Daily MailÂ reports.
Immediately after being stung, the boy was rushed to Townsville Hospital. Tragically, he died three days later.
After the teenagerâs horrific death, the local council has issued a warning to both locals and residents to avoid the water throughout the stinger season, which will continue until May. The Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council said in a statement:
âWe cannot stress enough on how important it is to keep your children away from the water.â
The box jellyfish, a venomous cube-shaped sea creature, is a deadly threat to all swimmers off the Queensland coast north of Gladstone. Its tentacles can grow up to 10ft(3m) in length.
National GeographicÂ warns:
âThe box jellyfishâs venom is among the most deadly in the world, containing toxins that attack the heart, nervous system, and skin cellsâŚ It is so overpoweringly painful, human victims have been known to go into shock and drown or die of heart failure before even reaching shore.â
Local police are currently preparing a report on the boyâs death for the corone
Follow Us on Instagram