Four Children Consume Rat Poison After Mistaking It For Brown Sugar

Date:

ZIMBABWE – Four children from Old Magwegwe consumed rat poison after the youngest among them mistook it for brown sugar and added it to porridge on Saturday morning.

All four are members of one family from Old Magwegwe suburb, aged 5, 8, 12 and 18.

The youngest child, a cousin of the other three, died a few minutes after consuming the porridge and the trio was rushed to the hospital and was said to be in a stable condition.

Mpilo acting chief executive officer Professor Solwayo Ngwenya told newsmen on Saturday that the family had brought the substance which was used as sugar and healthcare workers at Mpilo had discovered that it is rat poison. He said:

We have three patients who are victims of an unfortunate incident that led to the death of a child on Saturday.

All three are stable in the general wards and not intensive care units as previously predicted.

We understand that they made porridge on Saturday and the young one added rat poison to it as he mistook it for brown sugar.

We send our condolences to the family and at the same time encourage members of the public not to bring dangerous substances including fuel, pesticides and any type of poison in the house especially where there are children.

They would rather place these out of reach so that we do not have similar incidents.

Credit: Chronicle

(Visited 87 times, 1 visits today)
Misso Chitsambahttps://www.faceofmalawi.com
A writer and Journalist. For more Info: info@faceofmalawi.com

Share post:

Featured Video

click to play

Popular

More like this
Related

Facebook shut in Burkina Faso over security concerns

The authorities in Burkina Faso have said they disrupted...

Ladies: Here are 5 things you shouldn’t do after s*x

Your post-coitus behaviour could have a huge impact on...

Zambian Man Shoots His Wife To Death At Her Parents Home

Police in Lusaka have arrested Isaac Chulu aged 33...