As former Budget Director Paul Mphwiyo spends the 6th day in Police cell, the state prosecutor has disclosed that Mphwiyo will remain behind bars for a period of two weeks for smooth investigation to his case.

Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) Deputy Director Reyneck Matemba confirmed of the development in an interview with the press on Thursday.

Matemba said the state has come across new evidence to Mphwiyo’s case hence the objection to the bail application.

“The Fiscal and Fraud Unit of the police is the one that is conducting the investigations and we believe that two weeks being the maximum period is fine. However, if the investigations are concluded before the period elapses, we will have to tell his lawyer that the bail can be granted,” said Matemba.

Mphwiyo and his co-accused (three) were arrested on Saturday, November 7, 2015 and they appeared in Court on Wednesday for bail application.

Objecting the bail on Wednesday, the state prosecutor Mary Kachale said the state has nothing to do with Mphwiyo’s bail but new evidence to the case has forced them shoot down the bail application.

Mphwiyo’s shooting on September 13, 2013 led to the massive revelation to the looting of public funds at Capitol Hill dubbed cashgate.

So far over five people have been convicted and are serving various sentences in Malawi prisons.

You May Also Like

1 ndemanga

  1. Ndinu anthu amodzi.Zomwe mukupangazo takutulukilani mukufuna kungotipaka mafuta pakamwa.Amthilakuwili inu “IDIOTS!”

ZIMENE MUMAKONDA

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

From The World